Is your Western Digital My Cloud machine presently offline? Don’t fear—the corporate isn’t struggling one other service outage. Quite, it’s a brand new measure to forestall exploits of safety vulnerabilities. Should you haven’t up to date your machine’s firmware lately, it’s being barred from entry to My Cloud.
As noticed by Bleeping Laptop, Western Digital started blocking net entry on June 15 if the NAS unit had not but up to date to firmware model 5.26.202 (My Cloud) or 9.4.1-101 (My Cloud Dwelling, SanDisk ibi). The software program updates have been launched on Could 15, and embody fixes for a number of safety flaws. One is rated as crucial severity. The coverage change was introduced in a safety bulletin earlier this week.
Whereas dramatic, Western Digital’s actions appear to be associated to its service woes again in April, when a hack led the corporate to take down its servers for over per week to finish remediation. The crucial severity situation patched in its Could 15 firmware permits unauthenticated code to be executed remotely on a My Cloud machine—which might expose customers to threats like ransomware assaults.
Customers can nonetheless entry information on offline My Cloud units domestically. Entry and administration of recordsdata by the net turns into obtainable once more after the outdated machine completes a firmware replace. Affected units embody:
- My Cloud PR2100 – requires 5.26.202 or later
- My Cloud PR4100 – requires 5.26.202 or later
- My Cloud EX4100 – requires 5.26.202 or later
- My Cloud EX2 Extremely – requires 5.26.202 or later
- My Cloud Mirror G2 – requires 5.26.202 or later
- My Cloud DL2100 – requires 5.26.202 or later
- My Cloud DL4100 – requires 5.26.202 or later
- My Cloud EX2100 – requires 5.26.202 or later
- My Cloud – requires 5.26.202 or later
- WD Cloud – requires 5.26.202 or later
- My Cloud Dwelling – requires 9.4.1-101 or later
- My Cloud Dwelling Duo – requires 9.4.1-101 or later
- SanDisk ibi – requires 9.4.1-101 or later
Western Digital’s safety bulletins for My Cloud, My Cloud Dwelling, and SanDisk ibi units element find out how to replace your machine’s firmware.
This coverage announcement carefully follows latest reviews about Western Digital onerous drive warnings, which, in contrast to the firmware updates talked about above, don’t deal with any safety points. Even with out issues, some WD onerous disk drives are flashing alerts after three years—and it’s inflicting the drives to cease working in Synology NAS units. Synology is presently recommending that customers flip off the warnings to revive performance.